A sunny, tasty side dish that helps to brighten a rainy day.
Serving Size: 4
- 3 oranges, washed well from the outside
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into pieces
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and boiled
- 2 tbs. oil
- 1 med. onion, chopped
- 4 tbs. salt
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 3 scallions
- Wash the oranges well and grate the outside of the skin to get the zest.
- Cook the carrot pieces in a bit of water with 1/4 of the orange zest and a bit of salt.
- Peel and cut the potatoes and cook them in a bit of water with 1/4 of the orange zest and a bit of salt.
- Using the oil, sauté the scallions just enough until glassy and sweet, not even golden brown.
- Put the sautéed scallions in a small bowl.
- Juice the oranges and add the juice to the onions.
- When the carrots and potatoes are both cooked and soft.
- Drain the water from each.
- Using a fork, slightly mash the potatoes. They are to be a rough consistency. Not like mashed potatoes.
- Add the carrots and mash a bit more. Add the onion/orange juice mixture and the rest of the zest, and mix all together.
- Taste, and perhaps you may wish to season with a bit more salt, although we did not find it necessary.
- Perhaps a dash of nutmeg might be nice, but we didn’t want to overpower the hint of orange.
We served this as a side dish with seitan, it is also nice with tofu or tempeh as well.