The classic combination of strawberries and rhubarb. This time with hint of ginger and a streusel topping.
Serving Size: 6
for the pie crust
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tbs. baking powder
- 4-6 tbs. cold water
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine
for the filling
- 2 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 250 ml. sugar
- 45 milliliter cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger, ground
- 1 ml. salt
for the streusel topping
- 150 milliliter all-purpose flour
- 125 milliliter sugar
- 1 milliliter nutmeg
- 50 milliliter margarine, melted
For the pie crust:
- In a large bowl or food processor, combine flour, salt, baking powder and sugar.
- Cut shortening into the flour mixture until it looks like coarse meal.
- Add the water a few tablespoons at a time.
- Mix until it becomes a smooth dough.
- Wrap dough and chill in refrigerator.
For the filling:
- Toss the rhubarb and the strawberries with the sugar, cornstarch, spices, and salt.
- Once coated, place them in the pie shell.
For the crumble topping:
- Mix together the flour, sugar, nutmeg, and salt.
- Rub in the melted margarine until the mixture is crumbly.
To make the pie:
- Preheat the oven to 200 (C).
- Spray a 9 inch pie or tart form with a baking oil.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface.
- Place the dough in the greased pie form and prick the bottom with a fork several times.
- Put the strawberry/rhubarb mixture evenly in the pie.
- Sprinkle the streusel mixture over the pie.
- Bake the pie on a cookie tray at 200°C for 20 minutes.
- It might overflow a bit, so the cookie tray is important to catch spills.
- Reduce the heat to 180°C and bake until the filling bubbles, which takes about 40 minutes.