Fresh favas & fennel saute
Fava beans have not been a favorite of mine until now, but this recipe makes all the difference. The vibrant green and such a vibrant flavor are a perfect match.
Serving Size: 4
- 1&1/2 lb fresh fava beans in shells (will yield 3/4 cup shelled)
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 fresh fennel bulb trimmed, sliced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds coarsely ground with a spice grinder
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- splash fresh lemon juice
- salt to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Cook fava beans in boiling salted water 2 minutes.
- Drain, cool and peel outer skins.
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add fennel slices; saute 5 minutes.
- Add favas and fennel seeds; saute 3 minutes.
- Add 1 cup broth and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes to blend flavors.
- Simmer until favas are tender, about 5 minutes longer.
- Mix in lemon juice.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.