German plum cake (Pflaumenkuchen)
Plums are early this year and it’s been a good year for all the fruits. We especially enjoy this vegan plum cake. The cardamom gives it a very nice spicy flavor.
Serving Size: 8
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1 tbs. warm water
- 3 cups self rising flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 & 1/2 tbs. baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 & 1/4 cups vanilla soy milk
- 6 tbs. melted vegan margarine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 8 plums, cut quarters
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Set aside.
- Combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in soy milk, 5 tbs. melted vegan margarine, vanilla and yeast.
- Pour dough into a rectangle about 1/2″ thick on a oiled cookie sheet.
- Cover dough with the plum wedges (set them slightly “standing up”) .
- Brush plums with remaining tbs. of melted vegan margariner.
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cardamom.
- Sprinkle over top of cake.
- Bake at 375~ 30 to 40 min, or until center tests done.
The batter should be somewhere between a stiff liquid and a dough you can roll with a rolling pin.