Cinnamon apple walnut bread
Cinnamon and apples, don’t they go great together? Add some walnuts and dates and wow, what a tasty bread this makes!
Yield: 1 loaf
Serving Size: 8
- 1/2 cup soy margarine, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg replacement, beaten
- 2 cups apples, peeled and diced
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup dates, chopped (or raisins)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup soured soy milk
- Cut the lemon in half.
- Squeeze 1/2 the lemon into a large bowl with a bit of water, to cut the apples into (so that they do not turn brown.
- Save the other half of the lemon to make the soy milk sour.
- Cut the apples in small pieces into the lemony water.
- Into a different bowl cut the dates into small pieces.
- Cut the walnuts into small pieces.
- Beat the egg replacer until it is foamy.
- Cream together softened soy margarine and sugar and add beaten egg replacer, stir in fruit and nuts.
- Make the soy milk sour by adding the juice of the other half of lemon.
- Sift together dry ingredients and add alternately with sour soy milk.
- It will be a very thick batter.
- Place in a loaf pan; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Optionally you can sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top just before placing in the oven.
- Bake at 350°F (176°C) until cooked, about 1 hour.
Inspired by Vermont Apples www.vermontapples.org