Gourmet fennel & celery soup
This is a delightful soup a wonderful blend of nice flavors. Fennel is known for it’s antioxidant properties and combined with the celery and a bit of garlic makes this soup yet another candidate for our top 5.
Serving Size: 4
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds, ground
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb, quartered, cored & coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 cups vegetable bouillon
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 medium celery root, peeled & coarsely chopped
- 2 medium potato, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- Set aside the feathery fronds from 1 fennel bulb to use as a garnish for each bowl.
- In large pot, heat oil over medium heat; add the ground fennel seeds, chopped fennel bulb, celery and onion, and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are softened.
- Add the vegetable bouillon potato, thyme and garlic.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook until the vegetables are soft.
- Puree soup in food processor or blender, and return to pot.
- Thin with the white wine and season to taste with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Garnish with fennel leaves and croutons.
Adapted from http://www.ivu.org/recipes/soup/creamy-fennel.html