The sweet nutty chestnuts add a great flavor to our traditional sweet sour red cabbage recipe. Red cabbage has such a great flavor.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 lb. chestnuts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 head red cabbage,very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 6 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tart cooking apples, cut in small pieces
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Using small knife, cut an X in each chestnut.
- Place the chestnuts in roasting pan.
- Bake until shells loosen, about 35 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Remove hard shell and brown skin from each nut.
- Set aside.
- Heat oil in large frying pan over medium-low heat.
- Add onions; sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add cabbage, vinegar, water and sugar.
- Add the seasonings
- Cover; cook until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes.
- Cut the apple into small pieces and add to the cooked cabbage.
- Add nuts; cook until warm, about 10 minutes longer.
- Season with salt and pepper.