Fava beans make a really healthy bruschetta, and they are such a nice bright green.
- 1 large Italian bread
- 4-5 Tbs. fine olive oil
for the fava bruschetta
- 2 lbs. fresh fava beans
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs. fresh thyme
- 1/3 cup light vegetable oil, or fine olive oil
- dash cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Shell the fava beans.
- You need about 1 cup shelled beans.
- Cook beans in 1 quart boiling water until just tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Drain beans.
- Place beans immediately into a bowl of cold water.
- Peel outer skin of beans by loosening with tip of thumbnail or knife and slipping off.
- Put shelled, peeled beans, garlic oil and thyme into bowl or food processor, and only slightly mash. Its not necessary to completely puree unless that is what you wish.
- Add salt and pepper and a dash of cumin as desired.
- Slice the Italian bread on the diagonal.
- Brush each side with some fine olive oil and place on the grill for a few minutes to toast.
- Serve the toasted slices with the fava beans spread and optional olive oil for dipping.