Thai green curry with vegetables and noodles
We really enjoyed this meal, it seemed lighter and less salty than other kinds of Asian meals, although, nice and spicy on a chilly winter night. It can be served with rice or noodles.
Serving Size: 2
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons Thai green curry paste
- 1 can coconut milk (400 ml.)
- 9 – 10 oz. tofu or seitan
- 50 grams snow pea pods
- 1 sweet potato,cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 can baby corn, chopped in thirds
- 1 bell pepper, cut in thin slices
- 1 can bamboo shoots, drained
- 100 grams peas
- 1 bunch of coriander
- 2 or 3 kaffir lime leaves
- juice of half a lime
- salt and pepper
- rice or noodles
For the green curry paste:
- 1 stalk lemon grass, sliced finely
- 3 green chillies, stem removed
- 1 small onion or shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 inch pieces of ginger root, peeled and sliced
- 3 kaffir lime leaves cut in small pieces
- 1 bunch of coriander, cleaned, use all parts leaves, stems and roots
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- splash of coconut milk
- splash of lime juice
- Steam the sweet potato pieces until al dente.
- Place the oil in a large frying pan or wok.
- Add the curry paste and lightly fry for a couple of minutes
- Add the bell pepper strips and lightly saute until soft.
- Add the tofu or seitan and lightly fry in sesame oil.
- Add the coconut milk, and kaffir lime leaves continue to cook on low heat.
- Add the potatoes, baby corn, bamboo shoots, sugar snap pods and peas.
- Add the chopped coriander leaves and the lime juice to taste.
- This whole process should only take a few minutes, season with a little salt and pepper, then leave to simmer while you cook the rice or noodles.
- Serve in a large bowl, with the noodles at the bottom, and the curry and vegetables on top, garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
To make the curry paste:
Place all the ingredients in a blender and puree, using enough coconut milk to make the puree a smooth paste.
It’s hard to get green curry sauce that is vegan. Usually there is fish sauce added. Some Thai groceries do have a special brand that is for vegans. But, fresh is always nicer, it isn’t hard to make, you just need to have the right ingredients.