Rhubarb-apple turnovers with sauce
Rhubarb season is just beginning. These turnovers were very tasty and easy to make.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 apple (Granny Smith), peeled and cut into small pieces
- 3 Tbs. soy margarine
- 4 stalks rhubarb, cut in small pieces
- 1 Tbs. flour
- ginger, powdered
- 4 sheets frozen vegan puff pastry, thawed
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 4-6 Tbs. vanilla soy pudding (bought-pre-made)
- Peel and cut the apple into small pieces.
- Slice the rhubarb in small pieces.
- Melt the soy margarine in a frying pan.
- Add the apple and saute until a bit soft (al dente).
- Add the sugar.
- At last add the rhubarb and saute but also make sure it does become soft.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- While cooling, add the flour and mix well. (the flour will assure that the sauce thickens).
- Preheat the oven to 220 C.
- Thaw the puff pastry and place on a cooky sheet with baking parchment.
- Using a slotted spoon, place a tablespoon of the rhubarb apple mixture onto 1/2 of each puff pastry.
- Wet the edges of each puff pastry with a bit of water.
- Fold the puff pastry over to form a triangle.
- Seal the edges using a fork, and cut 2 or 3 small vent holes decoratively.
- Bake for 15-20 at 220 (C), or until puffed and golden brown.
- When the turnovers are done, remove from the oven and allow to slightly cool.
- Open the container of vanilla soy pudding and spoon a generous amount over each turnover.