Waffle Pieces with Lettuce and Papaya Chutney
These little appetizers taste delicious. The sweet-sour-spiciness of the chutney on the little waffle pieces is great and the little bit of lettuce adds a lot of color. These make a great finger food.
Yield: 3 doz.
For the waffles:
- 1 & 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup polenta
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 & 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 egg replacements
- 1 & 1/2 cup soy milk
- 4 tablespoons soy margarine, melted
For the papaya chutney:
- 2 large ripe papayas, peeled, pitted, and chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1/4 cup wine or raspberry vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 tablespoon lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 jalepeno pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- a few pieces of lollo bianco lettuce and a few pieces of lollo rosso lettuce.
To make the waffles:
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- Mix the egg replacements into a second medium-sized bowl and beat until frothy.
- Drizzle in the soy milk. Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients, along with the melted soy margarine.
- Mix with decisive strokes from the bottom of the bowl, until all the dry ingredients have been moistened.
To make the chutney:
- Combine all chutney ingredients in a medium saucepan and stir well.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer over low heat for a few minutes more to cook off excess liquid.
- Puree if you want it very smooth.
- Return the pureed chutney to the pan.
- Add a bit of water to the corn starch to dissolve it and add to the chutney.
- Cook until it becomes thick and the corns starch becomes clear.
- Place the chutney in the refrigerator to cool and solidify.
To assemble the appetizers:
- Make the waffles and allow them to cool.
- Cut the waffles in squares.
- Put a small piece of red lollo rosso and a small piece of green lollo bianco on each waffle piece.
- Put a teaspoonful of papaya chutney on the lettuce.