Chewy Raspberry Streusel Bars
These are very easy to make and taste delicious. You can use fresh raspberries, frozen or even raspberry jam.
- 4 cups Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal, crushed
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine, softened
- 6 tablespoons agave or corn syrup
- 1 1/4 cups red raspberry, filling*
- In large mixing bowl, combine Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal, flour, sugar, margarine, and agave or corn syrup.
- Save one cup mixture and set aside for the streusel topping.
- Press remaining cereal mixture evenly and firmly into bottom of 9x9x2-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees F about 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and spread raspberry filling over hot crust.
- Sprinkle the remaining cereal mixture on top as the streusel.
- Return to oven and bake 20 minutes longer.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack before cutting into 3×1 1/2-inch bars.
To make fresh raspberry filling:
- I used 2 cups fresh raspberries,
- Heat them in a medium sauce pan with about 1/2 cup of water and 3 tablespoons of sugar.
- While they are cooking down, dissolve 1 & 1/2 tablespoons of corn starch in a bit of water and add to the cooking raspberries.
- When the raspberries become a thick sauce that is clear, no longer “milky” from the cornstarch, remove from the heat and allow to cool and become thicker.
- If you want it to be very refined, you can push it through a sieve to remove the small seeds, but we have no problem with them.