Lentil & Hazelnut Patties with Soy Yogurt Mint Sauce
These are very nice burgers. The minty yogurt sauce really makes a nice addition to the flavor.
Yield: 16 burgers
- 1 & 1/4 cups dry lentils
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 egg equivalent
- 1/2 cup finely chopped roasted hazelnuts or walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 1-2 tablespoon vegetable oil for frying
For the soy yogurt mint sauce:
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon sweetener (agave corn or rice syrup)
- Cook lentils according to package directions; drain and cool.
- Combine lentils, onion, bread crumbs, parsley, egg replacer, and hazelnuts or walnuts.
- Stir in thyme, basil, salt, cumin and pepper.
- Mold into 16 burger-sized patties.
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, heat vegetable oil.
- Add four patties at a time and brown.
- For best results, wipe out frying pan and add new oil for each new batch.
- Remove from heat and drain on paper towels.
- Transfer onto a serving platter to serve.
To make the min soy yogurt sauce:
Put the soy yogurt chopped mint leaves and sweetener in a blender and puree until smooth.