Pumpkin mousse with gingersnaps and soy yogurt are the tasty basis of this lovely parfait. It’s great with afternoon tea or coffee, as a dessert or a special holiday treat.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 (15 oz) can pure pumpkin
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 tap. salt
- 100 grams tofu, pureed
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 & 1/2 cups soy yogurt, drained of excess liquid
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 12 gingersnaps, broken into pieces
- 4 parfait glasses
- Place the pumpkin puree in a pot, with the cinnamon, brown sugar, spices.
- Place on low heat and mix well.
- Add the pureed tofu to the pumpkin mixture.
- Mix well.
- Dissolve the corn starch in the water and add to the pureed pumpkin mixture.
- Raise the temperature and stir the pumpkin mixture until it becomes thick.
- Remove from the heat and place in a bowl to cool.
- Using a “cheese cloth” or finely woven cloth, drain the soy yogurt of the excess liquid.
- Place the drained soy yogurt in a bowl.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and mix well.
- Place a layer of the pumpkin mixture in the bottom of parfait glasses.
- Put a layer of crumbled gingersnaps above the pumpkin and follow with some of the soy yogurt mixture. If there is enough room in the glasses repeat the layers top with a dollop of soy yogurt and/or a few cookie crumbs.
I would suggest that you chill the pumpkin overnight in a bowl to make sure it has “set” and then shortly before serving, assemble the parfaits. Otherwise, if made a day ahead, the gingersnaps might become soggy. You can optionally also use Soyatoo or a soy whipping cream rather than the soy yogurt.
Inspired by http://www.gourmet.com/…/pumpkin-parfaits