Spicy Carrot Soup with Apple Crisps
This flavorful soup was lovely as our starter on Thanksgiving evening. The crispy apple chips give a nice sweetness, to offset the slightly spicy soup, flavored wit a touch of paprika. The apple crisps are easy to make however take a lot of time in a low oven to dry.
Serving Size: 4
- 2 strong cooking apples
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 med. onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 500 grams (4-5) carrots, peeled and in slices
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger. powdered
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons rice
- 2 &1/2 cups vegetable bouillon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 100ºC / 210ºF.
- Cut the apples in quarters and remove the core.
- Very thinly slice the apples. Lay the apple pieces on a piece of baking parchment or silicone baking sheet and place the sheet in the warm oven for 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours.
- In a large soup pan, heat the oil, saute the onion and garlic.
- Add the carrot pieces and spices and allow them to saute for a few minutes.
- Add the vegetable bouillon and tomato paste and bring to a soft boil.
- Lower the heat to simmer and cook until the carrots are soft, and the rice os cooked.
- Puree the soup, and season to taste with salt, pepper and a splash of lemon juice.
- Serve the soup with the apple chips floating on top.