Moroccan Pumpkin Soup
This is a sweet mild pumpkin soup that is quick and easy to make. The leeks give it a nice mild onion flavor and the chickpeas add a chewiness.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 cups chickpeas, cooked
- 3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 2 leeks (white and light green part only), chopped
- 4 cups vegetable bullion
- 4 cups pumpkin puree
- 2-4 tablespoons sugar, agave, corn or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- dash Tabasco
- ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over med-low heat.
- Add the leeks or onions and saute until soft and translucent, 5 to 10 min.
- Add the broth, pumpkin, chickpeas, sugar, spices, salt and pepper.
- Heat until boiling point.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer.
- Add the leeks or onions.
- Serve warm with crusty whole grain bread.
adapted from http://pumpkinnook.com/cookbook/intrec07.htm