We really enjoyed this raw dinner, using seaweed from the surf and zucchini from the turf. It tasted delicious, had great texture and was very filling.
Serving Size: 4
for the surf ‘n’ turf:
- 2 zucchini, peeled, grated and finely chopped
- 1 small-med. onion, chopped finely
- 3 stalks celery, grated and chopped finely
- 1 red bell pepper, minced
- 3 Tbs. nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 Tbs. almond flour or small handful of almonds without the skins
- 2 Tbs. kelp powder (or self made nori powder)
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
for the dill tartar sauce:
- 1/2 cup cashew butter
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 Tbs. mirin vinegar
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 2 Tbs. horseradish
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 1 tsp. lemon grass
- 3 Tbs. fresh dill, finely chopped
To make the Surf ‘n’ Turf:
- If you want the Surf ‘n’ Turf to be white in color, then peel the skin from the zucchini, otherwise the Surf ‘n’ Turf will be greenish in color.
- Grate the zucchini and place in a sieve to drain the moisture.
- I used a spoon to further press the excess water from the zucchini.
- Using a food processor, finely chop the onion, garlic and celery and almonds then add the zucchini and chop once more.
- Remove from the food processor, add the mined bell pepper, nutritional yeast and kelp powder and mix well.
- Season to taste with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Using round pastry forms, put the Surf ‘n’ Turf mixture in and gently push down to form a nice “cake” .
- Remove the form carefully and continue to use up the mixture.
- Serve with a small dollop of the dill tartar sauce and garnished with a bit of dill.
To make the creamy dill tartar sauce:
- Place the cashew butter in a bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and mirin and mix well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
As kelp powder was not available, we improvised with nori sheets that were ground in a coffee grinder.
Inspired by from http://www.rawfreedomcommunity.info/forum/showthread.php?t=2252