Brussels Sprouts with Walnut Caramel Sauce
This was a surprisingly tasty appetizer that we enjoyed recently at a restaurant. It was so nice, we wanted to share it with all of you. It is not overly sweet, just lightly so and very walnutty in flavor. A wonderful enhancement for nice fresh Brussels sprouts.
Serving Size: 2
- 12-14 per person Brussels sprouts per person
- 10 walnuts, ground
- 2 Tbs. walnut oil
- 1 Tbs. light brown sugar
- 1 Tbs. maple or agave syrup
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup soy cream or soy milk
- walnuts, chopped
- Place the walnut oil in a small saucepan.
- Grind the 10 walnuts to a powder (I used a coffee grinder).
- Put the ground walnuts in the walnut oil, and bring to a low heat.
- Add the brown sugar syrup and salt.
- Heat until it becomes a smooth mixture.
- Add the soy cream or milk and mix well.
- Season to taste with additional salt or brown sugar.
- Clean the Brussels sprouts and cut an X on the bottom stem part.
- Steam the Brussels sprouts for 5-8 minutes until they are soft, but still bright green.
- Put the caramel sauce in a small dipping bowl and garnish with the chopped walnuts.
- Serve the Brussels sprouts with the caramel sauce as a dip.