Chinese Velvet Corn Soup
There are many versions of Chinese Velvet Corn Soup. This one is very simple and quite tasty.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Sichuan peppercorns [optional]
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (or frozen)
- 1 cup soy yogurt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- minced scallions
- Heat the oil add the onions, ground Sichuan peppercorns, and salt. Saute until soft and translucent.
- Add 2 cups of the corn and saute for 5 minutes.
- Put the mixture into a blender, add the soy yogurt and puree to a smooth consistency.
- Place the soup in a large pot and gently heat.
- Add the sherry, rice vinegar and sesame oil.
- Add the remaining cup of corn, and reheat very gently.
- If you wish it to be thicker, you can add 1 tsp. of cornstarch dissolved i a bit of water, or if you want it thinner, add either more soy yogurt or some water.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Garnish with chopped chives.
adapted from Moosewood Cookbook