Breaded Eggplant with Spicy Walnut Yogurt Sauce
This spicy sauce makes a very tasty alternative to the usual tomato paring with eggplant.
Serving Size: 4
for the breaded eggplant:
- 1 eggplant
- oil for frying
- flour for dredging the eggplant slices
- breadcrumbs to coat the eggplant slices
for the sauce:
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
- 1 cup plain soy yogurt
- 1 tablespoon walnut or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 jalapeño pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro or coriander, chopped
- salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Toast the walnut pieces, either in the oven or in a dry frying pan.
- Cut eggplant into 1/2 inch thick rings.
- Lay each side of the eggplant slice in flour, then in a mixture of flour and water, and then at last in breadcrumbs to coat the outside of the eggplant.
- Heat oil in a heavy pan.
- Fry the eggplant in the oil until each side is golden brown.
- Mix together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Place eggplant on a serving dish, and spoon the sauce evenly over top.
- Garnish with remaining cilantro and a few walnut pieces.
Adapted from http://allrecipes.com/