Grilled Vegetable Kabobs
Summertime is here, let’s get out the grill. With the garden producing lots of fresh vegetables, kabobs are a tasty way to enjoy them all.
Serving Size: 4
Yield: 16 kabobs
for the marinade:
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 good dashes Tabasco
for the kabobs:
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 small red onion, cut into chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 pkg. tofu, cut into cubes
- 3 or 4 slices of pineapple cut into quarters
- 16 wooden skewers, soaked in water
To make the marinade:
Mix together in a large bowl:
The molasses, lime juice, garlic powder, ginger, black pepper, cayenne pepper, pineapple juice, wine,Tabasco, and soy sauce.
Place the mixture in a large nonmetallic bowl or casserole dish. (Large enough to hold the marinating vegetables and marinade.)
Toss the mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, and tofu cubes in the marinade; cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat and lightly oil the grate.
Thread the tofu and vegetables on each skewer, mix and match the vegetables as you assemble the skewers.
Cook on the preheated grill vegetables are al dente.
This meal was especially nice served on a bed of Caribbean pineapple rice.