Here is another tasty way to use your bounty of fresh zucchini. This time it’s a savory bread, with onions, Italian seasonings and a few gratings of soy cheese on top.
Yield: 1 bread
- 1/4 c. vegan margarine, melted
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 2 1/2 c. flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 2 egg replacements
- 1/4 c. soy milk
- 1 c. shredded zucchini
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 small piece soy cheese, grated as garnish
- Place the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, Italian seasoning in large bowl.
- Mix or whisk together.
- Melt the soy margarine in skillet., add the chopped onion, saute until glassy then cool slightly.
- In a small bowl combine the egg substitute with the soy milk, when mixed add the Dijon mustard.
- Add the nutritional yeast and dry mustard to the dry ingredients.
- Add onion mixture, egg substitute and soy milk mixture,
- to the dry ingredients and stir until ingredients are moistened.
- Press moisture from zucchini, and add to batter Batter will be very stiff.
- Mix with hands.
- Spread batter in well-buttered 9-inch round cake pan.
- Grate the soy cheese on top and bake at 400 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
- Serve warm.
adapted from http://www.cooks.com