Lentil Croquettes with Mango Jalapeno Chutney
With the upcoming holiday season, having tapas ready on hand is a good idea. These were very tasty and also make a nice dinner as well.
- 1 cup lentils (I used red)
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 2 bay leaves
- splash of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs plus bread crumbs for rolling
- 2 tablespoons chick pea flour
- dash garlic powder
- oil for frying
for the mango chutney
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 spring onions, or 1 small regular onion
- 1 ripe mango
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, de-seeded and sliced
- dash of salt and pepper
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch allspice
- pinch cardamom
- pinch coriander powder
To make the lentil croquettes:
- Put the lentils and 2 cups of water in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the vegetable bouillon, lemon juice and bay leaves.
- Cook the lentils until soft. You may need to add more water. Keep an eye on them so that they do not burn or scorch.
- All ow the cooked lentils to cool.
- Add the chick pea flour, garlic powder and enough bread crumbs to make the mass stick together.
- When it is cool enough to handle, roll a tablespoonful of the lentils to form a log.
- Roll the log in dried bread crumbs and set on a plate to await frying.
- Continue making all the croquettes until you have used all of the lentils.
To make the mango chutney:
- Slice the spring onions in small rings.
- saute in a small sauce pan with the oil
- Peel the mango and de-seed.
- Cut the mango in small pieces and add to the onions.
- Add the vinegar, sugar and spices.
- De-seed and chop the jalapeno in small pieces.
- Add the jalapeno pieces to the cooking mango chutney.
- Keep at a low simmer until the liquid has cooked off and it is a well blended mixture.
- Season to taste with additional seasonings or slat and pepper.
Fry the lentil croquettes in a pan with a small amount of oil, drain on a paper towel and serve with mango chutney.