This salad tastes lovely and is even better the second day.
- 1/4 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbs. salt
- 2 Tbs. vinegar
- 1 large beet, peeled and grated
- 1 pear, peeled and sliced
- walnuts, chopped
- 2 Tbs. rice wine vinegar
- 3 Tbs. walnut oil
- 1 Tbs. agave or maple syrup
- 1 inch nob ginger, peeled and grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- To “wilt” the red cabbage, slice it in very fine slices.
- Sprinkle the red cabbage with 1/4 tablespoon of salt and 2 tablespoons of vinegar and mix well in a bowl.
- Strongly kneed the red cabbage and allow it to sit for 30 minutes.
- Rinse the cabbage under running water to remove the extra salt and vinegar, squeeze the extra water out and place in a large serving bowl.
- Grate the beet and mix into the cabbage.
- Make the vinaigrette, pour over the salad and mix well.
- Sprinkle the walnuts on top.
- Serve the salad with slices of pears.
If you prefer a crunchier salad, then skip the “wilting” process of the cabbage and just serve it raw, sliced. If you prefer cooked beets, then roast or boil the beet first, then grate it.