Seared Tofu Florentine Ala Saganaki
This is one of our best meals. We enjoyed it tonight for the first time, but it will be done much more often as it was really tasty as well as being low in calories and healthy.
Serving Size: 2
- 1/2 cup rice, cooked
- 4 cups fresh spinach, cleaned and steamed
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- dash cayenne pepper
- Greek oregano
- fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 150 grams tofu
- 1 tablespoon oil for searing
- ‘soy’ romano cheese sauce* see below
for the cheese sauce:
- 3/4 cup non dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cashew butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon light miso
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast.
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 cup coconut oil, melted
- pinch cayenne or splash Tabasco
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
For the casserole:
- Cook the rice and lay in the bottom of a casserole dish to for a bed.
- Make the tomato sauce by sauteing the onion in the oil until soft and glassy.
- Add the minced garlic and the can of crushed tomatoes.
- Season with Greek oregano, thyme cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
- Steam the cleaned spinach.
- When the spinach has wilted, lay it on top o the bed of rice in the casserole dish.
- Place a generous layer of tomato sauce over the spinach.
- Make the cheese sauce.
- Cut the tofu into medallions.
- Lightly saute or sear the tofu medallions until golden brown on the outside.
- Lay the tofu medallions on top of the tomato sauce.
- Drizzle a dollop of cheese sauce over each tofu piece and here and there on the top of the meal.
- Place in the oven and bake at 220 C / 428 F for 10 minutes until the cheese sauce has become golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve with crusty wholegrain bread or an olive chiabatta.
To make the cheese sauce:
- Mix the ingredients in a saucepan.
- Cook until thick and creamy and remove from the heat.
- This will make about 1 – 1.5 cups. It’ is more than you will need for this recipe, but a very tasty sauce that can be used n many recipes.
Saganaki is a Greek, baked feta meal. We adapted this to include nice fresh steamed spinach, rice, tofu and a lovely cheese sauce.