White Asparagus with Herbed Orange Sauce
Asparagus season has begun. We drove specially to get it fresh from the farms where it is grown. This was superb. I’m glad we bought a lot, we will be enjoying this again in the next few days.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 pound fresh white asparagus
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbs. mixed salad herbs- minced chives, parsley, red onions, red bell pepper, black pepper
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel the asparagus from about 1/2 inch from the tip down to the bottom. Cut off the dried bottom edge.
- Prepare a pan of water with salt and a small pinch of sugar (optional). Once boiling, lay the asparagus spears in the boiling water and cook until the spears are soft (about 15-20 minutes).
- While the asparagus is cooking, pour the orange juice in a small sauce pan.
- Add the corn starch and mix well.
- Add the vegetable bouillon. Heat the mixture until it begins t boil and stir until it becomes clear and thick.
- Remove from the heat and sprinkle in the salad herbs.
- Serve the asparagus with some of the sauce drizzled on top.