Asparagus season has begun. We drove specially to get it fresh from the farms where it is grown. This was superb. I’m glad we bought a lot, we will be enjoying this again in the next few days.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 pound fresh white asparagus
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbs. mixed salad herbs- minced chives, parsley, red onions, red bell pepper, black pepper
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel the asparagus from about 1/2 inch from the tip down to the bottom. Cut off the dried bottom edge.
- Prepare a pan of water with salt and a small pinch of sugar (optional). Once boiling, lay the asparagus spears in the boiling water and cook until the spears are soft (about 15-20 minutes).
- While the asparagus is cooking, pour the orange juice in a small sauce pan.
- Add the corn starch and mix well.
- Add the vegetable bouillon. Heat the mixture until it begins t boil and stir until it becomes clear and thick.
- Remove from the heat and sprinkle in the salad herbs.
- Serve the asparagus with some of the sauce drizzled on top.