This makes a very special brunch menu or is tasty at any other time of the day as well.
Yield: 4 sandwiches
- 12 asparagus spears, cleaned and trimmed
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 4 slices bread, toasted
for the vegan cheddar sauce:
- 2 medium carrots, washed peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 3 teaspoons mustard
- 1 tablespoon light miso
- Dash cayenne (optional)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- pinch sugar
- Wash and trim the asparagus.
- Cook the asparagus al dente.
- To make the vegan cheese sauce, see below.
- Slice the tomatoes.
- Toast the bread in a toaster.
- Lay the slices of toast on a cookie sheet prepared with baking parchment.
- Optionally you can spread a vegan spread on the toast although we did not find this necessary.
- Place 3 or for slices of tomato on each toast.
- Lay 3 asparagus spears diagonally on top of the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle or spread the cheese on top.
- Place in the oven and broil for a few minutes until the cheese begins to melt.
- Serve hot from the oven.
For the vegan cheese sauce:
- Wash, peel and grate the carrots and place in a small saucepan with water.
- Cook until they are soft and most of the water has evaporated.
- Puree the carrots.
- Add the rest of the ingredients mix well and return the stove to cook until thick and creamy.
- Season to taste with additional salt, cayenne or mustard.
We found an amazing vegan cheddar sauce at Recipezaar and slightly adapted it. It is a really tasty vegan cheese sauce.