Rhubarb Orange Tart
Rhubarb season has begun. As we have a couple very nice rhubarb plants, we are happy to enjoy this tasty vegetable in many different ways. Rhubarb pairs very nicely with orange, it’s also tasty with ginger.
Serving Size: 2
- 3 slices frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 orange
- 1 cup orange juice
- splash lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- pinch cinnamon (optional)
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 2 stalks rhubarb
- Preheat the oven to 220 C or the temperature recommended on the package of puff pastry.
- Pour the orange juice into a small saucepan.
- Add the corn starch and mix well.
- Add the sugar and cinnamon and stir well.
- Bring the sauce to a gentle boil, stirring, until it becomes clear ad thick.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Thaw the 3 slices of puff pastry.
- Slice 1 into 8 thin strips to make the extra edges on the other two pastries.
- Wet the edge of all four edges of each puff pastry and lay the strips on each edge s that there is a slight rim on each pastry.
- Prick the center part of the bottom with a fork s that that part does not raise.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the orange sauce carefully onto the center bottom of each pastry.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of almond flour on the orange sauce and spread on the bottom of the puff pastry evenly.
- Clean the rhubarb and slice in thin slices. Lay the rhubarb slices onto the almond orange sauce.
- Lightly wet the rim of each pastry ad sprinkle a teaspoon of sugar over the pastry- rhubarb and edging.
- Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve the pastries with some orange sauce on top, and a slice of orange on the side.