Pumpkin, Pear, and Shallot Soup
This is a lovely smooth soup. The sweetness comes from the pears and the fact that the vegetables are roasted.
Serving Size: 4
- 2 lbs. of pumpkin or butternut squash, seeded and cubed
- 2 ripe pears, peeled, cored and cubed
- 3-4 shallots, peeled and cut into slices
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch cardamom
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat he oven to 450 F / 232 C.
- Place the pumpkin or squash, pears, shallots and garlic in a ovenproof baking dish.
- Drizzle the oil over and roast for 35-45 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Puree the roasted vegetables with the vegetables stock, dig 2 cupfuls first and then more according to how thick or thin you want the soup to be.
- Alternatively you can use an immersion blender and puree the soup in the pot.
- Add the cinnamon and coriander and season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Reheat the soup in a pot and serve with croutons and garnished with a couple of sprigs of chives.
You can use butternut, kombucha, orange hokkaido/uchiki kuri pumpkins. We prefer the orange hokkaido as they are orange and organically grown, there is no need to peel them, we can use the skin as well.