Zucchini Tea Sandwiches
These little finger sandwiches make a lovely appetizer or special party food.
Yield: 8-12 finger sandwiches
- 1 cup soy cream cheese
- 2 tsp. vegetable bouillon powder
- 1 Tbs. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. mixed fresh herbs, thyme, basil oregano and chives, minced
- freshly ground pepper
- dash Tabasco
- additional salt to taste
- 2 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 6-8 slices white sandwich bread
- also needed is a heart cookie cutter
- Make the spread by mixing the first 8 ingredients together. You may need to thin it a little with water or soy milk, depending upon the bread of soy cream cheese.
- Using a heart shaped cookie cutter, cut the hearts out of the bread. It may be possible to get 2 from a slice of bread if you turn the cookie cutter around and place it in strategic places.
- Spread each heart with a layer of the prepared spread.
- Using a mandolin or vegetable peeler, slice the zucchini very thinly.
- Lay the thin strips next to each other on a sheet of baking parchment, or a breadboard.
- Take the cookie cutter and cut the heart form from the overlapped zucchini slices.
- Using a spatula, pancake turner or pie server, carefully lift the zucchini heart and lay on top of the spread. Continue for each of the sandwiches.
If soy cream cheese is not available, then plain soy yogurt can be used. Instead of zucchini you could also use cucumber.