Creamy Coconut Almond Tart with Rhubarb
The combination of coconut and rhubarb is heavenly. The almond crust also makes a very nice addition.
Yield: 4 small individual tarts
for the crust:
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 cup either rolled oats or granola and or bran
- 1/2 cup whole flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 oz.vegan margarine
- 1 tablespoon agave or maple syrup
for the filling:
- 1 &1/2 cups soy yogurt
- 1/2 coconut flakes
- 3-4 tablespoons powdered sugar, depending on how sweet you want it
- 1 teaspoon coconut flavoring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
for the rhubarb:
- 3-4 stalks fresh rhubarb depending on size
- 1 cup water
- splash lemon juice
- 2-3 tablespoons sugar
- optional mint as a garnish
to make the crust:
- Mix the ground almonds, oats, bran and/or flour in a large bowl.
- Add the salt and mix together.
- Cut in the vegan margarine until the mixture resembles sand.
- Add the syrup and mix to form a ball.
- Place the crust into oiled ramekins or a small spring form.
- Put most of the dough in the center and using your fingers, press to thin the mixture towards the edges.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator to harden for 1 hour.
- Bake at 350 F, in a preheated oven for 5-10 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before filling.
to make the filling:
- Combine all the ingredients together.
- Place in the refrigerator to cool and become semi-solid or thicker.
- In a small sauce pan bring the sugar and water to boil.
- Clean and slice the rhubarb.
- Turn the heat under sugared water off and add the rhubarb pieces and a splash of lemon juice.
- Allow the rhubarb to ‘cook’ for 5-10 minutes or so then remove them from the pan and allow to drain and cool. You want the rhubarb to be cooked, but to remain as solid pieces.
to make the tarts:
- Fill each tart crust with a generous amount of the coconut filling.
- Add 3 or 4 pieces of rhubarb on top and optionally garnish with mint leaves.