Tomato Risotto with TVP and Zucchini
This is a simple meal to make and is easy on a hot summer’s day. The zucchini is very nice with the rice and TVP.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 cup risotto rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup large TVP chunks
- 2 ounces tomato paste
- 16 ounce can chopped tomato pieces
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- taco seasonings to taste
- dash of Tabasco or chili powder to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ounces soy cheese shredded
- Place the TVP cubes in a bowl and pour boiling water over them to reconstitute. You just need enough to cover the cubes.
- Chop the onion.
- Mince the garlic.
- Slice the zucchini and grate the cheese.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan.
- Saute the onion until they become soft and glassy.
- Add the risotto and allow it to absorb some of the flavors, it will begin to look transparent (about 2 minutes).
- Add 1 cup of water and the tomato paste.
- Stir well to spread the flavors.
- Add the garlic.
- Add the tomato pieces and stir.
- Add the taco seasonings and chili powder if using.
- And add the reconstituted TVP cubes.
- Lower the heat and allow the rice and TVP to absorb the tomato and flavorings.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, Tabasco or chili powder.
- In a separate pan, heat the other tablespoon of oil and saute the zucchini slices.
- Place the risotto mixture on a serving plate and the sauteed zucchini on top.
- Sprinkle the grated soy cheese on top and place in the oven on broil for a couple of minutes to quickly melt the cheese.
- Serve directly with a nice salad on the side.