Blackberries and Soy Yogurt with Blackberry Sauce
Blackberry season has arrived. We enjoyed this simple treat today and look forward to having it again soon.
- 3-4 cups fresh blackberries (total for the recipe)
- 2 cups soy yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- 1 cup blackberry sauce (recipe below)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons powdered sugar (optional)
for the sauce:
- 2 & 1/2 cups fresh blackberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
Make the blackberry sauce first.
to make the sauce:
- Place 2 & 1/2 cups fresh blackberries in a saucepan.
- Add 1/4 cup sugar and about 1/2 cup water.
- Bring to a soft boil.
- Mash the blackberries with a potato masher when they have become soft.
- Push the mixture through a sieve to discard the solids.
- Return the liquid to the saucepan.
- Add the cornstarch that has been mixed with the 2 tablespoons of water and stir to mix well.
- Heat the sauce, stirring until the sauce becomes clear and thick.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
We enjoyed the tartness of plain yogurt with this recipe. However if you wish it to be a bit sweeter, add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla and 1-2 tablespoons of powdered sugar to the soy yogurt and mix to a smooth consistency. Alternatively you can use vanilla soy yogurt.
- Place a few fresh, clean blackberries in the bottom of a parfait glass or bowl.
- Put a couple of tablespoons of soy yogurt on top, then a bit of the blackberry sauce.
- Continue with a second layer of each and top with a few blackberries.
- Serve with the remainder of the sauce as additional topping for those who wish.