Savory Walnut and Herb Biscuits with a Pistachio Eggplant Spread
We enjoyed these yummy biscuits for breakfast last Sunday, made in mini form. They were delicious, especially with the pistachio eggplant spread. They make a delicious savory breakfast or brunch or for any time.
Savory Walnut and Herb Biscuits
Yield: 10-12 biscuits
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 3/4 teaspoon. salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons margarine, cold
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tarragon, fresh, chopped
- 1 tablespoon marjoram, fresh, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives, fresh, chopped
- 3/4 cup soy milk
- Combine the flours, salt and baking powder in a bowl.
- Add the cold margarine, cut in pieces, rub he margarine in until the mixture has the texture of coarse sand.
- Stir in the chopped walnuts and herbs, then add the soy milk and stir with a fork until the mixture just holds together.
- Put the dough out on a lightly floured board and very gently knead it just a few turns, just until it can be rolled out.
- The less you work the dough, the more tender the biscuits will be.
- Roll the dough out 3/4″ thick, and cut out biscuits with a cutter.
- Place the biscuits on a parchment covered baking sheet, and bake them at 425 F / 218 C for about 12 to 13 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown.
- Makes about 10 to 12 biscuits.
Pistachio Eggplant Spread with Cajun Seasonings
This makes a very tasty eggplant spread that is a nice alternative for Baba Ganoush.
Yield: 1 – 1 & 1/2 cups
- 1 eggplant
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun spices
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Prick the skin of the eggplant all over with a fork.
- Place the eggplant in an oven proof baking dish with a bit of oil, so that it does not stick.
- Bake the eggplant at 350 F / 177 C until it becomes soft, about 20-40 minutes.
- While the eggplant is baking, shell the pistachios.
- When the eggplant has softened, remove from the oven.
- When it can be handled without burning your fingers, remove the skin and place the pulp in a bowl.
- Add the shelled pistachios and puree to a smooth mixture.
- Add the lemon pepper, salt and garlic, onion and Cajun spices.
- Season to taste with additional spices as desired.