This intriguing combination makes a delicious side dish for an everyday meal or even for a holiday meal. We really enjoyed this and will be having it more often while apples are in season.
- 1/4 cup white wine or white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons maple or agave syrup
- pinch salt
- dash white pepper
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 apples, washed, cored and sliced
- 10-12 ounces fresh spinach, cleaned and trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Mix the white vinegar, wine, lemon juice syrup, salt, pepper and thyme in a small bowl, and set aside.
- Clean and slice the apples into the vinegar/wine sauce.
- Place 1 tablespoon oil in a small pot, saute the onion rings until glassy and soft.
- Add the apples and vinegar wine sauce and cook until the apples are soft, but not mushy.
- Remove from the heat.
- In a large frying pan, heat the other tablespoon of olive oil. Saute the spinach until just wilted.
- Place on a serving dish and drizzle the apple, onion sauce on top.