These nice muffins make a tasty Sunday breakfast in the fall. They have some of the best of fall’s bounty – pumpkins and apples.
for the muffins:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2teaspoo n ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg replacement
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups peeled, cored and chopped apple
for the streusel topping:
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons vegan margarine
- Preheat the oven to 350 F / 177 C.
- Make the streusel topping by mixing the flour, sugar and spices together.
- Melt the vegan margarine and stir into the flour mixture, it will be a grainy coarse mixture.
- Grease 18 muffin cups or use the paper liners.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, salt and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, mix the sugar, and spices, add the pumpkin puree and mix to a smooth consistency.
- Add the egg replacement and again mix well.
- Add the oil.
- Clean and cut the apples in small pieces. Add to the flour mixture.
- Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture and stir enough to moisten.
- Fill the muffin tins 3/4 full and sprinkle the streusel topping over.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes.
It’s best to cut the apples in very small pieces, and don’t put too many – not more than the 2 cups, as the muffins need enough dough (batter) to hold together.