This was a delicious lunch that we enjoyed today. It would also make lovely appetizers or finger food at a party.
for the lentils:
- 1/4 cup beluga lentils
- about 2 cups boiling salted water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
for the soy yogurt:
- 1&1/2 cups soy yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, mined
- 1/4 cup chives, minced
- splash lemon juice
- pinch salt and white pepper
- optional splash of Tabasco or cayenne pepper
for the toast:
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- additional chives for garnish
- Place the lentils in a small saucepan with 2 cups boiling salted water.
- Cook the lentils 15-20 minutes until al dente.
- When the lentils have cooked, drain the liquid, pour the 1 teaspoon of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar and small pinch of salt over the lentils and stir to mix.
- Meanwhile, place the soy yogurt in a cheesecloth and drain the excess liquid, to thicken the soy yogurt.
- Add the minced garlic and chives.
- Add a splash of lemon juice and a small pinch of salt and white pepper.
- If you’d like it to be slightly spice, optionally a dash of Tabasco or cayenne pepper.
- Mix well ad season to taste.
- Slice the crusts from the wholewheat bread and place in a toaster to lightly toast.
- Once they are toast, slice into triangular points.
- Spread a dollop of soy yogurt on each toast point, and sprinkle generously with the lentils.
- Garnish with a few minced chives ad enjoy.
You could optionally use a baguette, sliced in rounds and toasted as bruschetta.