These make a wonderful lunchtime meal, or cut in quarters they would be good finger food or appetizers for a party.
Yield: 8 slices
- 8 slices bread, toasted
- 1 lb. tempeh, sliced in thin squares
- 1 can pineapple rings
- 1 jar vegan sandwich spread or vegan cheese
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- pinch sweet paprika powder as garnish
- 8 candied cherries as garnish
- Toast the bread in a toaster.
- Slice the tempeh in 8 thin squares.
- Warm the oil in a frying pan and braise the tempeh until golden brown on each side.
- Remove from the heat, brush with the tamari sauce.
- Drain 8 pineapple rings on a paper town, then lay in the warm frying pan to lightly brown and warm.
- Once the bread is toasted, spread with vegan sandwich spread or vegan cheese.
- Lay 1 tempeh slice on each slice of bread.
- Top with the pineapple.
- Dust with sweet paprika powder and place a cherry in the middle.