This vegan version of a Denver Sandwich really hit the spot today for lunch. We used corn tortilla as wraps to make a lighter version.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 block (about 6 ounces) of tofu, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons sweet grainy mustard
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast (more if you like)
- 1/4 cup soy yogurt
- small pinch turmeric for color
- 2 tablespoons oil
- dash Tabasco
- salt and pepper
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped vegan sausage (alternatively tempeh, seitan or vegan pepperoni)
- 1 package corn or flour tortillas with 6-8 tortillas
- Mince the onion.
- Chop the peppers.
- Crumble the tofu.
- Chop the vegan sausage or whatever you are using.
- Mix the soy yogurt with the nutritional yeast, mustard, turmeric and Tabasco.
- Heat a frying pan with the oil and saute the onions and bell peppers.
- Add the tofu and mix well with the peppers and onions.
- Add the soy yogurt mixture and mix well.
- Add the vegan sausage and cook the mixture to a light crumbly mass.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Fill each tortilla with about 2 tablespoons of scrambled tofu mixture.
- Fold 2 opposite edges inwards and roll the tortilla closed.
A Denver Sandwich is traditionally made from scrambled eggs, with sautéed onions, green and red bell peppers and ham.