Belgian endive offers a great way to enjoy fresh greens over the winter. Tonight we enjoyed them with avocado and tomatoes.
Serving Size: 4
- 2-3 Belgian endives
- 2 tomatoes
for the guacamole:
- 3 avocados
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 2-3 tbs. lemon juice
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- Tabasco or cayenne pepper
to make the guacamole:
- Peel, stone and mash the ripe avocados using a fork.
- Add 3-4 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1 or 2 good sized cloves of minced garlic.
- Season with salt, pepper and Tabasco.
- If living in tropical areas you can add sprigs of fresh cilantro of culantro, otherwise you can use fresh coriander leaves.
to make the salad:
- Cut the bottom of the Belgian endive off and separate the leaves.
- Carefully wash in cold water and blot dry.
- Wash the tomato and cut into eighths.
- Place a generous mound of guacamole in the center of each salad plate.
- Surround with individual Belgian endive leaves and alternate with the tomato wedges.