This casserole is really a winner. Apples and onions are great together, with the broccoli and the vegan Hollandaise sauce, this casserole comes together to be a really nice side dish.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 large broccoli, cut in florets (3-4 cups)
- 2 apples, cleaned, cored and sliced
- 2 large onions, sliced in rings
- 2 tablespoons oil (divided)
for the vegan Hollandaise sauce:
- 1 cup soy yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3-4 ounces soy cheese, grated
- Cut the broccoli into small florets (about 1 inch in size).
- Steam the broccoli until al dente and still bright green.
- Remove from the heat and place in an oiled casserole dish.
- While the broccoli is steaming, saute the onion slices in 1 tablespoon of oil until the onions are soft and light golden brown.
- Remove the onions from the pan into a bowl.
- Add the 2nd tablespoon of oil to the pan and lightly saute the apple slices.
- When the apples have softened, add to the onions and lightly mix the 2 together.
- Preheat the oven to 435 F / 244 C.
- In a separate small blow, mix the soy yogurt with the vegetable bouillon and mustard.
- Add the apples and onions to the broccoli and mix lightly so that all the ingredients are spread evenly over the casserole dish.
- Drizzle the Hollandaise sauce on top.
- Grate the soy cheese evenly over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 5-10 minutes or until the soy cheese has melted and turned light brown and the sauce is bubbly.
The original recipe comes from Germany, called Krefelder Broccoli Gratin. We adapted it to make a vegan version.