Lidia’s Pea Spread
This is a lovely spread that we enjoyed at the Lahder Krug, a restaurant in Petershagen-Lahde (Germany) during a birthday party. The restaurant usually serves traditional German meals, but they made an entire 5 course vegan meal just for us and did a really good job. We were very touched and happy to enjoy this special spread.
Yield: 2 cups
- 450 grams (2 & 1/2 cups) fresh or frozen peas
- 1 large sweet onion as Spanish or Vidalia, chopped
- 4-5 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- freshly cracked pepper to taste
- Cook the peas in boiling water or steam them.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and sweat the onions and garlic until soft and glassy, but be careful to not over-cook as the garlic becomes bitter.
- Drain the peas and place in a bowl.
- Add the sautéed onions and garlic and puree to a smooth texture.
- Add a very small pinch of salt and season to taste with cracked pepper.
The flavor we enjoyed was quite garlicky yet sweet from the sauteed onion. This tasted delicious on whole grain bread but would also make a lovely dip for vegetables