Roasted Cauliflower with Red Lentil Marinade
This is a delicious side dish that we enjoyed with tempeh and apple chutney. It made a nice fall meal.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 head cauliflower, cut in florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds or pine nuts, toasted
- 1 – 1 & 1/2 cups red lentils
- 2-3 cups vegetable bouillon
- 3-4 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- Prepare the cauliflower by cutting away the stem, cut or break the cauliflower into bite-sized florets and place the pieces in an oven-proof dish to roast.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the cauliflower pieces and place in a preheated (425 F/218 C) oven to roast.
- Roast the cauliflower 20-25 minutes until lightly toasty brown in places.
- Meanwhile, chop the onion.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan or soup pot.
- Add the onions and saute until they become glassy.
- Add the lentils and lightly cook to infuse the flavors.
- Make the vegetable bouillon using the water and a vegetable bouillon cube.
- Add the vegetable bouillon to the lentils and add the raisins and ground coriander.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then turn the heat down to simmer.
- Add the balsamic vinegar to the lentils and when soft, remove from the heat.
- If there is extra liquid still in the lentils then drain it off, or use a slotted spoon to place the lentils on a serving plate.
- Toast the sunflower seeds or pine nuts in a dry frying pan.
- Add the toasted seeds to the lentils and mix.
- Serve the steamed cauliflower on a bed of the marinated lentils.
- We garnished with a few more sunflower seeds, if you wish, chopped coriander would also be nice.