Tropical Sauerkraut Salad with Mango and Avocado
This is a delicious salad combining the flavors of fall and summer. The sauerkraut is really lovely with the mango, avocado and apple.
Serving Size: 4
- 18 ounces sauerkraut
- 1/2 sweet red bell pepper
- 1 red chili pepper
- 1-2 fresh sweet apples
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 limes juiced
- Squeeze the juice from the sauerkraut, save it for another recipe (it’s very healthy).
- Put the sauerkraut in a sieve and lightly rinse with cold water to remove most of the salt, and squeeze the water out.
- Separate the sauerkraut with a fork and place in a large serving bowl.
- Cut the stem from the sweet red bell pepper. Slice half of the pepper in very thin strips.
- Cut the top of the chili pepper of, and remove the inner veins and seeds. Slice the chili pepper in very thin slices.
- Add both peppers to the sauerkraut and mix.
- If the apples are biological, you can include the skin, if not, peel and core.
- Grate the apples into the sauerkraut and mix well.
- Mix the lime juice and olive oil and pour over the sauerkraut and mix the salad well.
- Slice the mango, remove the seed and peel.
- Slice 1/2 of the mango in medium chunks and mix through the salad.
- Slice 1/2 of the avocado in medium chunks and mix through the salad.
- Serve generous portions on 4 salad plates.
- Slice the other halves of the mango and avocado and use as garnish on top of each salad.
- Any salad that is left over after serving can be placed at the tale in a serving bowl for people to help themselves.