Italian TVP Balls with Spinach on Rice
This makes a very good winter main meal. It’s both warming and filling.
for the Italian TVP Balls:
- 1 cup tvp
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
- pinch salt pinch garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1 cup boiling water
for the Italian tomato sauce:
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons oil
- pinch salt
- pinch garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs
- splash lemon juice
- splash Tabasco (optional)
for the meal:
- 1 package frozen chopped spinach
- 1&1/2 cups rice
- 1-2 tablespoons oil to fry the tvp balls
- chopped black olives as garnish
to prepare the Italian tvp balls:
- Place the cup of tvp in a medium large bowl.
- Add the seasonings and chopped onion.
- Add the boiling water and put a plate or lid on top and allow the tvp to swell. (5 minutes)
- As the tvp becomes soft add the bread crumbs and stir well to mix. It may need a bit more hot water. Stir again, and the mixture will become a sturdy mass.
- When the tvp mixture is cool enough to handle, form balls.
- We got about 20 balls about the size of golf balls or walnuts.
to prepare the rice:
- Bring 3 cups of lightly salted water to boil.
- Add the rice and cook until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is soft. When done, place a lid on top and set aside.
to make the Italian tvp balls:
- Fry the Italian tvp balls in 1-2 tablespoons of oil.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Place the formed balls in the oil and fry lightly until golden brown.
to make the tomato sauce:
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan.
- Saute the chopped onion until glassy.
- Add the can of crushed tomatoes.
- Add the Italian seasonings.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, and Tabasco as desired.
In a small saucepan, heat the spinach.
- Place a generous amount of rice on a plate.
- Add a nice layer of tomato sauce.
- Top with 3 or 4 tvp balls and a few spoonfuls of the spinach here and there.
- Sprinkle chopped black lives as a garnish.