Start your Valentine’s Day in a special way with light and fluffy wholewheat pancakes with strawberry syrup.
Serving Size: 2
for the pancakes:
- 2 cups wholewheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons agave or maple syrup
- 1 capful vanilla extract
- oil for the frying pan
for the strawberry syrup:
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam
- 1/3 cup water
- splash lemon juice
- 1 pint of strawberries
to make the pancake batter:
- Place flour, baking powder salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the soy milk, vanilla 1/2 cup water and the syrup.
- Fifteen minutes before serving the pancakes, combine the wet ingredients with the dry and mix.
- This will be a thick batter, allow the batter to set for 10 minutes.
to make the strawberry syrup:
- Clean and slice the strawberries.
- Add the strawberry jam, water and splash of lemon juice in a small sauce pan.
- Mix well and bring to a gentle heat to melt the jam.
- Add most of the sliced strawberries, saving a few as fresh garnish.
to make the pancakes:
- If the batter is still too thick, use the other 1/4 cup of water to thin the batter. It should be a thick batter, but slightly liquid.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a large non-stick frying pan and ladle the batter into the pan.
- Allow small bubbles to form in the center of the pancakes, then flip over.
- Serve the pancakes with strawberry syrup and garnished with a couple of fresh strawberries.