Cabbage, Chestnut and Apple Galette
This is a very tasty winter meal. We enjoyed it as a main meal, it would also be good as an appetizer or for a brunch.
Yield: 1 galette
for the dough:
- 1 & 3/4 cups AP flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening such as coconut oil or vegan margarine
- 3/4 cup cold water or less
for the cabbage chestnut filling:
- 2 ounces vegan margarine
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 apple, cleaned, cored and chopped
- 1 head of cabbage (1 pound) shredded
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 12-14 cooked chestnuts, peeled
to make the dough:
- Place the flour and salt in a food processor with the dough making attachment.
- Add the vegetable shortening and pulse the food processor to blend the flor and margarine.
- You want the consistency of sand.
- Add less than the 1/2 cup of cold water and pulse again to form a ball of dough.
- If more water is needed, then add.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to cool.
to make the filling:
- Chop the onion, shred the cabbage, peel and chop the apple.
- Prepare the chestnuts.
- Heat the vegan margarine in a large frying pan.
- Add the chopped onion and saute until glassy.
- Add the shredded cabbage and cook until wilted, stirring to mix evenly with the margarine.
- Add the chopped apples salt and sugar and mix well.
- Remove from the heat and mix in the chestnuts.
to assemble and bake the galette:
- Preheat the oven to 400 F / 204 C.
- Flour your rolling pin and work space.
- Roll the dough out.
- You will want it to be a rough circle, 2 inches larger all around than your serving plate.
- Place the dough on a cookie-sheet with baking parchment or silicone mat.
- Put the cooked cabbage mixture in the center of the dough and carefully bring the edges up and fold over around the edge of the top.,
- Crimp the overlapping parts of the dough together.
- Brush the galette with soy-milk and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve the galette warm from the oven.
We enjoyed the galette with spicy red onion jam.