Raisin Bread with a Vegan Cream Cheese and Nut Spread, Pears and Sprouts
This simple recipe makes a very elegant and tasty sandwich. It is convenient for a Sunday brunch or a nice sack. This would also be very useful as an appetizer, or finger food if cut in quarters rather than halves.
Yield: 7-8 sandwiches
for the sandwiches:
- 14 slices vegan raisin bread
- 2 pears
- 1/2 cup alfalfa sprouts
for the spread:
- 1 & 1/2 cups plain soy yogurt
- 4 tablespoons cashew butter
- 1 cups walnut pieces, finely chopped
- splash lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- pinch sugar
- dash Tabasco (optional)
- 2 dashes nutmeg
to make the spread:
- Take a fine sieve and lay it over a bowl.
- Put a cheesecloth in the sieve and pour the soy yogurt into the cheesecloth.
- Allow the excess liquid to drain from the soy yogurt for about 15 minutes.
- You will probably have about 1 cup of concentrated soy yogurt. Place this in a bowl.
- Add the cashew butter and mix well. I use a fork but a whisk also works well.
- Add the lemon juice, sugar, salt nutmeg and Tabasco. Taste and season accordingly.
- Add the walnuts and mix well. Allow the mixture to season for a few minutes.
to make the sandwiches:
- Spread the spread on 1 slice of raisin bread.
- Peel the pear and thinly slice.
- Add a layer of sliced pears onto the spread.
- Top with some alfalfa sprouts, and the top slice of bread.
- Slice on the diagonal, and continue for each of the sandwiches.
- Place the sandwiches on a platter or individual plates.
You can also buy vegan cream cheese, which would be a quicker solution, although more costly.