Asparagus season has just begun and we are looking forward to sharing some new recipes. This was a delicious dinner we enjoyed over the weekend with asparagus bought directly from the farm.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 lb. asparagus spears (white or green)
- 8 ounces mushrooms, cremini, shitaki or other favorite
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 & 1/2 cups plain soy yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable bouillon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- splash lemon juice
- splash Tabasco
- optional seasonings as nutritional yeast
- 12 lasagna sheets
- 1/4 cup soy cheese, grated
- non-stick vegetable oil spray
to make the sauce:
- Place the soy yogurt in a bowl.
- Add the seasonings and stir to mix well.
- Taste, and season to taste with any additional seasonings you may want. However, be care not to make the seasonings too strong as you will over power the subtle flavors of the asparagus and mushrooms.
to make the lasagna:
- If you are using white asparagus, peel the asparagus and cut into long slices that will fit the lasagna sheets.
- Place in a pot of boiling water seasoned with a bit of salt and sugar.
- Boil the asparagus until they are soft.
- If you are using green asparagus, cut off the hard woody end, and slice to fit the lasagna sheets, then par boil until soft.
- Clean and slice the mushrooms.
- Saute in the oil until the mushrooms are soft.
- Pre-heat to oven to 350 F / 177 C.
- Spray an oven-proof baking dish with vegetable oil.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Par boil the lasagna sheets to soften for only a few minutes, you don’t want them fully cooked, only softened.
- Drain the water off and carefully place 1 layer of lasagna sheets on the bottom.
- Spread some of the sauce evenly over the lasagna sheet.
- Place a layer of sauteed mushrooms on the sauce. (Reserve a few as decoration for the top)
- Next place another layer of lasagna sheets, followed with another layer of sauce.
- Lay the asparagus pieces evenly on top of the sauce and top with another lasagna sheet.
- Top with a generous layer of sauce , a few mushroom pieces as decorations and sprinkle with soy cheese.
- Place a lid or aluminum foil on top of the dish and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the soy cheese has melted.
- If you wish a golden top, bake the lasagna for 3-5 minutes without a cover.
- We enjoyed the meal with a large mixed salad, whole grain bread and a lovely organic vegan wine.