We really enjoyed this tasty dinner tonight. It could be made with rice risotto but the barley was delicious, and we often forget to use this healthy grain.
Serving Size: 4
- 3/4 lbs. fresh green asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups vegetable bouillon
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 cup walnut halves, toasted and chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mixed Italian herbs
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated organic lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- Prepare and cook the asparagus in a pot of boiling water for 3-5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse under cold water. Set the asparagus aside.
- Saute the onion in the vegan margarine in a large frying pan over moderate heat, stirring until softened.
- Add the barley and stir to evenly coat and season the barley.
- Add the wine, 1 cup of the broth and the herbs.
- Simmer until most of liquid is absorbed and barley is al dente, about 30 minutes.
- Gradually add remaining cup broth, about 1/4 cup at a time, stirring constantly and letting each addition be absorbed before adding next, until absorbed.
- Add the nutritional yeast and mix well.
- Stir in the asparagus, walnuts, lemon zest, lemon juice.
- Season with salt and pepper.