Lemony Barley Risotto with Asparagus and Walnuts
We really enjoyed this tasty dinner tonight. It could be made with rice risotto but the barley was delicious, and we often forget to use this healthy grain.
Serving Size: 4
- 3/4 lbs. fresh green asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups vegetable bouillon
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 cup walnut halves, toasted and chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mixed Italian herbs
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated organic lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- Prepare and cook the asparagus in a pot of boiling water for 3-5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse under cold water. Set the asparagus aside.
- Saute the onion in the vegan margarine in a large frying pan over moderate heat, stirring until softened.
- Add the barley and stir to evenly coat and season the barley.
- Add the wine, 1 cup of the broth and the herbs.
- Simmer until most of liquid is absorbed and barley is al dente, about 30 minutes.
- Gradually add remaining cup broth, about 1/4 cup at a time, stirring constantly and letting each addition be absorbed before adding next, until absorbed.
- Add the nutritional yeast and mix well.
- Stir in the asparagus, walnuts, lemon zest, lemon juice.
- Season with salt and pepper.